Monday, April 13, 2009

FIAE - Chapter 9 AB/SYN?

Abstract - Jen T

This chapter focuses on the top ten no-nos for grading based on guidelines using differentiated instruction. In overview, avoid grading nonacademic factors, avoid averaging grades, avoid grading homework, avoid withholding assistance, avoid grading of inaccurate factors (similar to grading nonacademic factors, or homework), avoid extra credit, avoid group grades, avoid grading curves, avoid recording zeros, and avoid using norm-referenced terms to describe criterion-referenced attributes.

Synthesis?

Instead of summarizing what we, as a class, agreed with in this chapter, I have decided to focus more on the things that we did not agree on. This chapter is a perfect example of how, as a class, we could be having some really amazing conversations instead of just writing a reflection on the chapters. I know of at least one of us who thinks putting zeros in the book is stupid, one who thinks it only makes sense, and one who isn’t sure about his/her feelings about it. This has come from real conversations I've had with them, and not reflections posted on wikis. We just discussed in seminar how maybe homework is silly, but I know that most of us who were on the 'agree' side, will have regular homework once we enter into our own classrooms. Why?
(For your personal viewing pleasure. What kids really think about homework. Not suitable for class. Rated R)

Let’s pretend like we’re all adults right now who can have opinions other than those of the author. Do we really think that Wormeli is right about these ten things? No homework, no grades for homework, no zeros, no nonacademic factors (that means no attendance or class participation). And if we do agree, what are the chances that we'll incorporate them into our classrooms? What are the reasons that we won't? Instead of an abstract/synthesis, which can be helpful in certain situations, I would be more supportive of a VoiceThread or Scribblar, that allows us to discuss/agree/debate about our thoughts on these chapters. Anyone game? Either way, I need to find someone to talk to because I'm sure Sara, Megan, and my mom are tired of hearing me bitch, and I'm tired of reading reflections that just prove how easily persuaded we, as pre-educators, are to other people's opinions on education. I say that in the nicest way possible and fully comprehend that that is a broad generalization of our class. I just feel like it's a waste of my time or your time to not question what we're learning, especially since we're amazingly fortunate to have such a close class and supportive professors.

End Rant.

4 comments:

  1. I still giggle when I read this even though we went over this last night! Priceless Urban dictionary link, and I love that you made a voice thread! I agree 100% with most of your comments, we should have stimulating class discussions rather then writing redundant reflections/abstracts/synthesis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the very first link to be the most convincing. I like the argument presented and it really made me think. The third link, what was about what students really think about homework, was interesting. Even if you do not consider it appropriate, at least we teachers can have a good idea about the reality of how students feel about the homework teachers give them. Your synthesis and abstract really made me think about whether I wanted to give my students homework. It made me realize that if I do give homework, it should be for a very good reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I enjoyed the necessary rant. I also very much enjoyed the Urban Dictionary link -- it was very "academically stimulating" in my opinion. Especially for a chapter like this, where the author got it 100% wrong, I feel a discussion would be far more useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, you are so right, we do need to have debates, we do need to question stuff (we are at college, aren't we?) and I agree with your comment about being easily persuaded (I've seen this in other classes as well). Sadly, independent thought is not taught in high schools (though I'm not sure how it could be). As someone who loves politics, I get so pissed off when people adhere to party lines simply because they're party lines, so I definitely understand your frustration here. I'm still hoping for a class one of these days with a genuine discussion of these issues.

    ReplyDelete