Monday, April 13, 2009

Chapter 11

I heard a rough statistic the other day, that only the top 15% and bottom 15% of the student body is going to get the help it needs in high school. This is especially disturbing after being in the classroom and seeing that there are many students “undiagnosed” or “misdiagnosed” with special needs. These techniques should be used on any student who is have difficulties with the curriculum, not just children with learning disabilities. While I think the one-on-one help that some students with special needs get is wonderful, it’s a damn shame how we don’t think our energy is needed with students without special needs. I don’t know if MI works, I’m sure it does, but the way it’s presented in this book is completely ridiculous. The authors make it sound like it’s going to save the world, but in truth, I wonder if MI techniques themselves are just one way students can learn, and not the answer to all of our prayers as educators.

No comments:

Post a Comment